Friday, February 10, 2012

Snow storm totals and maps

The storm proved to be wonderfully filled with moisture.  I had 22 inches at my house, which made for a fabulous birthday weekend for me!  I rang in a new decade by playing in the snow!  Here's a list of snow totals from the National Weather Service for the front range area:
We broke the February storm total record set back in 1912.  We also set the snow record for Friday.  Metro closed for the day, which was a great choice!  It was nice to work from home and not be out on the roads, but still be able to throw on my snow pants and boots and go for a mid-afternoon hike in the foothills.  

I just grabbed a few weather maps from a week ago today before they are archived to show the synoptic set up for Friday evening during the later portion of the storm.  This storm would be a great case study storm for an upslope event! 

From the bottom of the atmosphere up:






About 90% of the way through the storm on my front patio.